Saturday, December 25, 2010

MORNINGS AND MEMORIES OF SONG KRAN

(ORIGINALLY POSTED ON DIFFERENT SERVER  12/07/10)


It is another nice and sunny day in Thailand!  I started my morning off with my favorite thing...realizing that I am alive and have another great day to enjoy  My mornings are about the same every day...coffee, shower and spending a few hours on myLot (a social network).

One of my favorite things about Thailand is the unique holidays.  My favorite is Song Kran, or Thai New Years which is also know as the water festival.  It is officially celebrated for three days, but here where I live and other "tourist cities" it is extended for a week because of the farang (foreigners like myself) who either love it or hate it!

What's to hate? Getting wet, but I love it. In the non-tourist areas and small villages Song Kran is a simple a simple tossing of water and a little powder applied to the face to welcome in a prosperous and healthy New Year. Simple and centuries old tradition.  But in cities like Pattaya and Bangkok, it is total chaos.  Some farang will leave the country, but not me...I love it!

For an entire week, from early morning until about six in the evening, there are pick-up trucks filled with people and water, pails for water throwing, huge water pistols and lots of plastic bags around to keep your wallet, passport and cellphones dry.  I look forward to April 2011 for the next festival!

Here are a few pictures for you to enjoy from last year!














No comments:

Post a Comment