Saturday, December 25, 2010

THE KITCHEN IS OPEN!

(ORIGINALLY POSTED ON DIFFERENT SERVER 12/11/10)




Being retired is really a great profession! There are no fantastic job offers being presented, no worries about vendors delivering goods correctly or on time if you are in business and there is not really to much to worry about!

But with all this free time I decided that I needed a hobby and so I decided to become the worlds worse chef in Thailand!  It was a hard challenge and the results are not in yet, but soon....I shall hold the honor!

It is really silly to cook if you love Thai food as the vendors and your neighbors will be more than happy to prepare whatever it is that you want...and at a very cheap price.  But as I said I needed a hobby.


I think now, after almost three years that I can cook basic Thai food just as good as some Thai’s but as far as the difficult foods I take a back seat for sure!

So, I am cooking a lot of Thai-American food now, or fusion or whatever it is called that is politically correct!  It is fun, cheap and most of the time it is good!


My Thai friends do not like it too much because they are  "dyed in the wool" menu people and mostly will only eat Thai food.

So, if you have not figured out what todays blog is about, it is about food..my food!

I am going to present one or two recipes now and since I own this blog, nobody can complain...but if you want to it is ok...I need some comments to know what you are thinking about!


Now I am not going to add any pictures here because the food I make does not look good on a photo...for the most part it does not look too good in real life either, but to me it is tasty and that is the important part of cooking.

The first two things needed for cooking that you must have is one dog and two chickens. Dogs eat almost any mistakes and chickens are so stupid that they will eat most everything that the dogs may reject.

OK, here we go!

I don’t measure as Terrible Chefs don’t need to...so if it is an ingredient that you love, put more in, if it is something that you hate, delete it and stick something else in its place.

1. Kick Butt Peanut Sauce! This is cool because it is a nice thing to put on boring chicken, macaroni and almost anything that needs a new flavor...also good on satay which is what it was originally made for I think. I made my first bunch today and I really like it!

 A couple of garlic cloves...chop the hell out of them until they are really fine.

About an inch of ginger root. Do the same with that as the garlic.

Juice of a lime.

Some chili sauce - maybe a few tablespoons.

A little bit of honey.

About 1/2 cup of peanut butter.

A splash or so of soy sauce.

1/3 or so cup of water (you need to add this so the stuff don’t burn or stick to the pot when you are cooking it) 


You can add more later to make it as thick or thin as you like (cooking with me is easy) !

Ok, if your sauce pan looks like a mess you are ready to proceed.

Cook on a light heat, stirring all the time until everything melts and looks nice. Now, it is time to taste it...if you like it you followed my directions perfectly..if not, add some more of what ever you think is missing!

OK, this will keep good in the refrigerator for awhile...LOL...I hope so!
 
And if you hate it, give it to the dog!

2. Horrible Looking Eggs!

2 eggs, mixed up with about 1/2 teaspoon of oyster sauce in it - sounds bad already, doesn’t it!

1/2 cup of greens or green stems...I think I was using spinach, but I don’t really have a clue...they were labeled in Thai. If you wear dentures like me, cut them up and boil them until you can chew or gum them to death.

A slice of ham, all chopped up, 

Half an onion - chopped up


Chili sauce - maybe a tablespoon

Chopped ginger root

Black pepper

Remember, if you follow any sensible rules of cooking, you will never be creative!

OK, toss some oil in your wok or frying pan and saute the onions and ginger.  When they are the way you like them, toss in everything else except the eggs.
Keep stirring until they are cooked and then lower the heat and pour the eggs in.  Cook until they seem done (no e cola (spelling) needed here) and eat them.

OK...if you are still with me, thank you very much!

I am not a very serious person and love having fun. There are real recipes...or at least what I ate today!

No comments:

Post a Comment